As a Retailer (…or brand…), are you evaluating the launch of your branded Mobile App?
Before everything else, consider the following potential issues.
Issue #1 – App installation
Maybe your shoppers are going to install your App on their smartphones, or maybe not:
- in a perfect world, shoppers install a branded App for each retailer (…store/shopping mall/chain of petrol stations/supermarket/…) they visit
- in the real world, a selection necessarily takes place, and only those Apps that are definitely valuable to shoppers (…those that tangibly improve their shopping-experience…) survive
Please, verify that your App does what your shoppers really need.
Issue #2 – App configuration
Once installed, your App needs to be configured by the shopper, for example:
- link it to your (the retailer’s) loyalty-program
- do opt-ins, typically accept/activate:
- Bluetooth (for iBeacons)
Please, do your best to make your App configuration process as smooth-and-simple as possible.
Issue #3 – Troubleshooting & support
No two smartphones are the same: they’ve different Operative Systems, different versions of the Operative System, different hardware, etc., so expect some troubles.
Please, think about putting in place some minimal user-support:
- are store-employees able to answer “technical” questions about your App and Mobile devices?
- are they able to do some troubleshooting?
Issue #4 – Back-end integration
To be effective, a retailer’s Mobile App has to be thoroughly integrated with the retailer’s IT system.
This is a strong requirement because information offered by your App must be updated in real-time; think of:
- loyalty point-balance
Please, make sure that your IT systems are equipped to effectively serve connected, Mobile consumers.