When I think of valuable retail Mobile technologies, it’s not the shopper’s smartphone with your branded Apps installed on, but a cutting-edge Mobile POS solution in the hands of your Store-associates; I’m talking about replacing the traditional desk-bound POS stations with retailer-grade Mobile POS solutions (fully integrated with the IT back-end) based on tablets or smartphones.
The final goal is to enhance the shopping-experience:
- with personalized interactions on the shop-floor
- during the most important phases of the shopping process
Using Mobile POS solutions, Store-associates are able to have an in-store “anytime, anywhere“ full view of:
- the shopper and her purchase history, habits, personal info, …
- products, prices, promotions, sales data, real-time inventory levels, …
- other valuable, always-up-to-date, “operational” info, for example work schedules, alerts, training & HR related material, …
The Store-associate is so able to relate with the shopper in a personal and informed way, and is empowered to provide helpful advice and significant product recommendations – this is what I call a rich, consultative sales approach; all of this occurs on the shop-floor, where and when the buying decision is made – not afterwards at the checkout desk, when it is too late; a Mobile POS solution has another big advantage: it allows to complete the purchase (including payment, receipt-print, etc.) straight-away on the shop-floor.
The following diagram describes a simple, “futuristic” scenario supported by a Mobile POS solution: